Monday, February 11

Are transitions REALLY necessary.....

I mean, exactly how necessary is it for the story to actually make sense?  *cough*  One of my biggest challenges in writing has always been, and continues to be, transitions.  Whole scenes pop into my head, particularly dialogue between characters, and I write them as they come... then end up with a whole bunch of disconnected scenes.  At the beginning of a story I typically start out alright, good descriptions intermixed with the dialogue... it flows.  Then the scenes start flooding my brain and I write, write, write... and have no idea how to properly join the various sections.

In the story I recently unearthed once more, the main character is a high school girl and the first part of her story takes place in sort of four rotating settings.  Her time spent with the girls she has long considered her best friends, though they have been steadily growing apart, her time with a boy who has befriended her and is quickly becoming her new best friend, the time she spends at home in conflict with her mom and step-dad, and her time with the girl she is falling in love with.  Is there a particularly effective way to string together different scenes like this?  This is what the majority of that document looks like (these are just the last and first lines of each scene):


“You’re an insane person.”
Liana laughed at the intended insult.  “Of course I am, darling, I’m friends with you.”
“And that makes you insane?” Andie raised an eyebrow.
“Certifiably,” Liana confirmed.

*   *   *

“We should hang out sometime,” Nate suggested.
Andie shot him a look.
“I’m not asking you out—unless you want me to.”
Rolling her eyes, she replied.  “No, I don’t.  And I’ll think about it.”

So, erm, suggestions?  I know for some pieces I just need to include some more descriptions, and fill in some thoughts and reflections of Andie's that will tie some sections together.  And I think adding in chapters eventually, as this particular story has none yet, will help take care of some of it, too.  I would still love any advice or thoughts any of you might have to offer on the subject!

4 comments:

  1. You could consider some movement to show the setting/world. Or do some internal thoughts. Or describe the setting in some way--show it through the character's eye. Like, if your main character really liked My Little Pony and she and her friend are at an MLP expo, have her see the Pony of all Ponies. It will give the scene movement. It could also develop some tension if the MC wants to avoid a subject and uses the pony as a distractor.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes call on your setting to break up scenes a bit. And of course, like you say, adding internal monologue or interiority will also transition. Consider every part of your story as cause & effect. That way it should flow. If you haven't watched all the Martha Alderson Plot Whisperer videos on You Tube, I HIGHLY recommend it. She's got a great way of breaking it all down so that every scene you write makes sense and flows with the plot. They are free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to watch the Plot Whisperer videos, too. I heard they are amazing. Great suggestion, PK!
    Good luck to you! You will get there, Kas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Describing the setting is a good idea. I need to be more descriptive about that anyway I suspect. And I definitely know I need to add some more internal monologue. I will have to check out those videos.. they sound fabulous. Thanks to all for the advice!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think.