Thursday, March 7

I have such good balance the floor and I often high-five...

I've never been very good at balance.  Of any kind.  I once had a doctor tell me, after observing me trying to stand on one foot, "No one your age should have that bad of balance."  When I manage to drag myself to yoga class, I am always the least balanced by far.   Maintaining balance in other aspects of my life has also been consistently challenging.  Throughout college I would spend three days straight writing one paper just to have to scramble to get another assignment done that I had "forgotten" while doing the first.  The lists (for the ADHD) helped with this a bit--reminding myself I had many things to attend to--but still certain things often slipped through.

Writing has always been one of the first things to go.  I used to go through periods where I would write all of the time, every day, at least a couple of hours a day.  Then it would be months since the last time I had picked up a pen and notebook.  I started this blog as a challenge to myself to not allow the second to happen when the most recent period of the first had faded.  Since returning to work my writing time has dwindled faster than a birthday candle, and my muse has hidden herself away in protest of my instant neglect.  My brain has still been processing and imagining what I plan to write next, but I haven't actually sat myself down and written anything for days.

Next week I am starting a second job.  Chances are high that between both jobs I will end up working over 40 hours a week.  As aware as I am that many people work this much, as a person with terrible life balance I'm not yet sure how I am going to handle it.  I am fully preparing myself for it to be a disaster.  I am hoping the two jobs is not necessary for too long, but for now, it is.

Last week I celebrated my 24th birthday, and over the weekend lived out a childhood lifelong dream of having a Harry Potter birthday party.  My incredibly attentive & amazing boyfriend got me all kinds of Harry Potter things and even put them in this amazing little trunk--a mini-HP trunk.  But because I (gleefully) immersed myself back into my first writing inspiration for most of the past month preparing for my partay I have been thinking about all of my unfinished fanfics much more.  Now, I know that writing fanfiction is not necessarily productive per say, but writing in general can only strengthen my writing skills, right?  I've been thinking about using my fanfics as sort of writing exercises when I am lacking particular direction or inspiration for my originals.

Questions for those who may have made it this far.... How do you balance life with writing?  Do you ever do writing exercises of any kind?  For fun?  Practice?  Another reason?  I always love to hear your thoughts and advice.

4 comments:

  1. I totally think it's good to work on writing that you WANT to work on. Sure, we'd all love to get published, but with two jobs, etc. you should just write for yourself and see what happens. Also, I find that the more I work, the more I am in "work mode" and get a lot done in my writing as well. For me it's things like hanging out with friends and going out that get neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in physio for an injured ankle and my balance is embarrassing. I'm surprised I haven't made things worse by falling over while standing on one leg. :P

    I used to work over 45 hours a week as a drug rep (plus I had three young kids at the time). I barely had enough time to breathe, never mind write. I feel for anyone who tries to do both. It's not easy, especially when you have kids.

    If you really want to write, you will. If not, don't be hard on yourself. Enjoy life and enjoy your super sweet boyfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shell--that's interesting, I am the opposite. As soon as I leave work, work mode fades into tired mode haha. Hanging out with friends and going out get neglected for me anyway so no problem there.

    Stina--At least you have an excuse for the bad balance! ; ] I can't imagine having to be responsible for anyone else right now. And I know, I know, but part of enjoying life for me is finding that time to myself which is currently non-existent. I'm hoping this craziness only lasts a little while though until I can get financially stable again. Then I can cut back on hours and write more! : ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I awarded you the Very Inspired Blogger Award at my blog today. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me whatcha think.